Saturday, July 21, 2012

Not in the features.

"This afternoon some woman, kind of old, was flirting with me. While she was talking, I was thinking, older women just don't seem to sweat the way that I do. We were standing in the middle of the sun, right where its rays point, and I was thinking, and I found myself with some kind of resolve about women like her, women who are a generation, two generations, beyond mine. I thought, all those young women out there, walking around in the summer, they don't deserve admiration the way that this woman does right here. Young women, they get leers that are violent, they get systemically pressed upon by young men, by all men, and they do not deserve that. But in a way they also do not deserve admiration for beauty simply because they are young, in the same sense of systemic violence, because sometimes a desire which simply admires also runs parallel to violent desires. Whatever honest admiration is, it is so often directed towards the same typifications that are directed towards those who have to endure the absurd forms of violence that are cast. And women like this one here who was talking with me, she is beautiful in a way that is excluded from those directions, you know. And it has nothing to do with who she is. But I know that even the way that I'm thinking about it right now doesn't reach the complexities, and is probably wrong and makes more of a mess, but I try and work through that. And I thought, maybe those small looks that one might give, getting off the bus or wandering through produce at the store, or being introduced to someone outside a library, those looks met between two people where one just thinks in a grocery store, bursting in an instant with their brains that you are a beautiful human being, and that for a second, this one second where for the only time in my life I see who you are, I don't care about the price of these avocados or anything, those looks should all go to the women who stopped getting them decades ago. And when I am waiting at the crosswalk next to an older woman who wants to cut her hair or do her god damn nails, or who stands in a way that knows her very own sexuality, I will want her to know that yes, she is beautiful, and let any structural definitions of beauty go to hell. I can't stand how so many movies are about youthful love, or about the taboo of relationships between characters with large gaps between their ages. This woman called herself an empty nester, and that's why she had two pets now, to feel less like one. And she was just beautiful in ways that the world does not let the word to be defined. It drives me crazy. Anyway, she told me that I looked like Robert Redford in one of his old movies, and I didn't even know what to say, I said probably I wouldn't be able to handle a gun in the same way that he is in those old ones, and it made me just want to tell her that yes, in the world, and even despite it, she is incredible."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know these thoughts, but you say them better. I think you're saying something extremely important about desire here. This and your last post are absolutely brilliant. This one especially.

Scott Herder said...

That means very much, thank you.

Myosotis said...

For some reason this made me think of Kundera. Of a certain passage in a certain book.
If you've read it, you know what I mean.
You may even understand why I remembered it, even though I don't.

And it doesn't matter, anyway.

Beautifully written.

Cat said...

I was blog jumping and landed here and read this post. It is beautiful.

Scott Herder said...

Thank you for reading, Cathy. I'm glad that you happened over here.

Myosotis, I think I know what you mean. I've been rereading a couple of Kundera's books lately, so their thoughts have been on my mind.

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed reading your post. I saw flashes of my own life enter as I read. It's not exact but pretty close.

analysis essay examples said...

I like the way of your perception regarding things...you have a glorious tool in describing the things that you perceive around yourself...the whole post is really very much interesting indeed.