Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The consolation of life.

What else, but that after deciding to eat one million cookies, I run short by about a million less a couple dozen.

I then thought that I might clean out my old email drafts, and wondered whether I should now send them all to their originally intended recipients. Maybe like a slightly discomforting, ghostly revisiting of circumstances long past. There were three and four year old letters of advice to friends who were deeply lost in their troubles. But maybe like finding an old letter or to-do list in something you haven't worn since a couple winters ago. There were all kinds, but what I liked most was a long, long exchange about a Doggie. A silly experience of a radio show turned somehow injurious for my good friend Greg. A reply to the request for a water bottle. A whole-soul, half-sentenced response to being told I was brave three years ago, incomplete because of the inevitable limitations that are given to all-of-the-heart expressions when they are verbalized.

Twenty-nine email drafts that have accumulated over the last five years or so, residing in their incompleteness as accidental reminders of complete, bursting moments, and how all continues here, in this day.

1 comment:

kmbrco said...

I love gems like this. We forget the day-to-day moments. Something so simple as an e-mail draft can transport us back to a day gone by, good or bad. I save a lot of my emails. Particularly when I am going through a trying time. Later I can look back and wonder at how I made it through, or laugh at something a friend said. After all, they are a diary of sorts.