Friday, December 24, 2010

Need no overcoat.

This great bush in my back yard houses more than a dozen sparrows, and some cardinals, maybe seven but I hope eight so that each has a friend. I am provided a warm mulled wine for contemplation while I watch, its branches bundling about themselves in the cold, that kind of air you can only feel for some few minutes as the morning sky begins to brighten. A tender hug of frost. In the bush's late summer leaves, and now in its briar-like winter dress, the little things make the bush look to be constantly bustling in its same place. From inside my house I can hear their persistent chirping, even now, in the Christmas cold. Everyone home for the holidays.

1 comment:

Myosotis said...

We LOVE your blog. It is one of the best blogs we've seen.
And we love YOU.

May you have a merry and blessed Christmas (time is not what it seems, so, yes, it still is a valid wish :)), and the best of whatever you desire in the New Year.