Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The tops again.

As previously lamented, I have not very much enjoyed a lot of the music released this year, most probably, I will admit, out of ignorance. I have been listening to a lot of the recommendations that my friend Brendan has given me over the last week or so, but I don't think I can draw a week of listening into a tops list. As well as this, I have not even seen enough good films released this year to populate a Top 5 list. I've seen how out of touch I have become with popular culture--aside from the inclination to create a tops list, of course--and from this consider myself to have found another New Year's resolution. Though that is doubtful.

So, let's see. Rather than attempt to collate a list from my slim pickings, I'm going to travel a decade backwards (1.21 Gigawatts) and give you my Top of the Tops list of the sweeter days of 1998. It was my transition into baggy jeans, skateboarding, and cutting my own hair. Some photos remain, but we are currentl tracking them down. But let's forget that and get to business.

Top 5 albums:
Neutral Milk Hotel, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
Finger Eleven, Tip
Project 86, Project 86
Pedro The Lion, It's Hard to Find a Friend
Refused, The Shape of Punk To Come

Top 5 Songs:
At The Drive-In, "Napoleon Solo"
Neutral Milk Hotel, "Oh Comely"
Mineral, "Unfinished"
The Gloria Record, "Torch Yourself"
Pedro The Lion, "Secret of the Easy Yoke"

Top 5 movies:
Saving Private Ryan
SLC Punk
The Truman Show
Can't Hardly Wait
The X-Files


Top 5 video games:
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Pokemon
NHL '99
Space Station Silicon Valley
Breath of Fire III


--

Now that was a good year. 2008, though, has been both the longest and the shortest I've had. Hmm. On we go, and into what we soon shall see.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

how very "High Fidelity" of you.

PChan said...

Space Station Silicon Valley. Choice.

Codie said...

i miss you. happy new year.

Anonymous said...

get out of '98, scott.
everyone you know now had braces then.