Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Upon my breath.

Today Volumes III and IV of Thrice's Alchemy Index were released upon this needy world. Or, in the least, upon me, in need. Its timing is welcome.

There might be words that exist with which I might explain how incredible their artistry is in The Alchemy Index albums, how brilliant Dustin Kensrue's lyrics are, connecting words and music to present listeners with a very real internal image of the classical elements, how you can hear them in the songs, spanning full genres with ease. There are words but I do not have them.

The title of this (online journal) is taken from the English sonnet track from the Air album. It suits. I thought I might reproduce.

Silver Wings

From tender years you took me for granted,
But still I deigned to wander through your lungs.
While you were sleeping soundly in your bed,
(Your drapes were silver wings, your shutters flung)
I drew the poison from the summer's sting,
And eased the fire out of your fevered skin.
I moved in you and stirred your soul to sing;
And if you'd let me I would move again.
I've danced 'tween sunlit strands of lover's hair;
Helped form the final words before your death.
I've pitied you and plied your sails with air;
Gave blessing when you rose upon my breath.
And after all of this I am amazed,
That I am cursed far more than I am praised.

2 comments:

hannah love said...

AHHHH

this song is my favourite.

AshleyBHN said...

scott, its me/ashley.
you are golden my friend.